Blog of The Organic Gardener

Saturday, November 25, 2006

SLUSHED OUT OF THE GARDEN

Pleasant days and an enjoyable gardening year made me believe I could carry on gardening in spite of the season.

I had simply forgotten the extent to which shorter days limit the time available in which to do anything.

At the beginning of November a few wet days were not enough to keep me off the soil. But now the soil has been thoroughly drenched and I have to keep off it. Walking on soil or lawn now, compacts the ground. Attempting to work it with rake or cultivator turns it to a sticky slush.

Greenhouse gardeners will no doubt still be happily pottering around and fussing over tender flowers and seedlings.

Even so I believe that given a dry spell I could spread some garden compost over the surface outdoors, and while standing on a pathway, lightly work it in using a garden fork.

Indeed I used this to plant 30 Shallots. The variety Grisselle is planted in Mid October to December before the ground freezes. It gets a head start on the Shallot varieties that are normally planted in Spring.

I've been buying a few shrubs and perennials. A recent purchase included Corylus avellana 'Contorta - Red Majestic'. I got this one at a reduced price from a Focus DIY closing down sale. Nevertheless, it reminded me how expensive these outlets can be for plant purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment