Blog of The Organic Gardener

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

WAITING FOR SUMMER TO END

Well I complained about the short dark days and the wet (I hope it means we avoid summer water shortages). But really it is so warm I hardly need put a coat on when I go out. Gardening would be very comfortable. Conditions are far from the hard frozen ground and biting chill one might expect this time of year.

SOME GARDENING
A week or two ago I planted 2 new Gooseberry bushes, the thornless red berried 'Pax' and the renowned apricot flavoured Hinnonmaki Yellow - to add to my collection.

Gooseberries fit nicely into a small garden. They arrived in good condition as bare rooted plants available to UK gardeners here.

I also received 15 Strawberry plants from Suttons 4 month collection comprising varieties: Mae, Flemenco, and Alice. Actually I got an extra plant. I've been able to plant these too. I think it is good to order early.

If all goes well I intend to construct a new greenhouse this year. Then the strawberries will be planted into the greenhouse beds.

NATURE

I was out early evening along a dark country lane when I was surprised to see light coloured moths fluttering in the car headlights. They were quite numerous along the tree and hedge lined roads. I had expected such creatures to be confined by the cold at this time of year. But not so. Then last night there was one outside on my window. Nature is certainly thriving.

Some predatory birds nearly became extinct when DDT was used as pesticide. But how did it get into these birds?
The garden birds are very numerous and active - the sparrows have made a big come back after almost disappearing. Much is due to my neighbours who keep the bird food topped up in several feeders. The Robin has been very prominent and makes its prescence known every time I go into the garden. But there have also been Kestrels sitting on my garden posts waiting for a kill.

Like it or not we live in an interdepedent existence with the animals and plants that share the planet with us. So I'm thrilled to see life prospering in the garden and the countryside.

Thinking as a biologist for a moment: we describe the ecological niche of different animals, but we never ask of ourselves - what is the human's ecological niche? What is our place in nature? Are we predators, organic recyclers, farmers, or just a horrible disease? Shouldn't we try to fit in somewhere rather than twist and disturb everything? We disturb the interdependency of life at our peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment