Blog of The Organic Gardener

Friday, December 29, 2006

SIGN FROM THE WINTER GARDEN - A BURNING BUSH?


The mid-day sun is heating the water laden branches and making a column of steam.
But what is this? It's certainly not my next door neighbour having a bonfire.

This steamy column was amazing to watch as it rose vigorously into today's still air. It brought to mind the holy cloud that guided the Isrealites in the wilderness. Am I being led into the garden? Oh dear, perhaps this is to be my 'burning bush' experience.

But I've 'seen the light' and this Christmas the Lord has quietly blessed me on my 'pilgrim journey'. So, what I see here has a 'down to earth' explanation (I'm relieved to say :-)    .

Yesterday brought plenty of rain. Now the ground and the leaves are soaking wet. Today the skies are more or less clear with the mid-day sun shining down at about 33 degrees above the horizon.

The fence is sheltering the hedge from any light wind. The drenched conifer leaves are warming in the sun to provide an extensive area evaporating water. Volume for volume moist air is lighter than dry air. But it does look spectacular.

It is but a microcosm of the weather. Indeed from the same window I have observed clouds climbing into the sky over nearby woodlands. Why? Because the trees are dark in colour and they shelter the ground making it warm. Add to this lots of moisture from the tree leaves and you get a rising air current of the type sought by glider pilots.
A happy new year in the garden to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just a question about composting. I've got a lot of grass runners, couch, kikuyu, clovers, and strong weeds. I'm trying to compost them - if I don't I'll just end up throwing 70% of my garden waste away. Someone advised me to keep the weeds in a plastic trash bin for a month - before putting them into the compost pile - that way, the weeds would die and the worms can kill them rest. Is that feasible?

    ReplyDelete